About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Jan 13, 2011

Ingroun

Ever wondered about those odd little 'verification' words you get asked to type when leaving a comment on a blog or buying tickets or some such thing online? Is there some poor stressed-out elf somewhere, whose sole purpose in life is to come up with a new word every single time?

Leaving a comment on Vicky's blog just now, my mot-du-jour came up as "Ingroun". I couldn't help reading it with a Cockney accent:
"G'mauwnin' Doc - s'this 'orrible ingroun toe-naiyle, innit? S'bleedin' killin' me wenna wauwks dairn tha pub n'that."

Reminds me of the "sauwt" story of Wendy's (with whom Vicky and I shared some hilarious lunchtime stories while working at Richmond hospital a couple of years ago). It was also in the way she told it, but it still tickles me - about some Essex/London people she'd heard once at a restaurant overseas, asking the foreign waiter, "Oy, scuze me lav, you got any sauwt?" to which the waiter looked at them completely baffled, poor guy had no idea what they were saying. "Ave ya gorrany sauwt?" Still a perplexed look and shrugged shoulders...
"OY SAID," (because it always helps to SHOUT at foreigners) "AVE... YOU... GORRANY... SAUWT? Ya knairrrr....SAUW-T!!!....to put on me chips!"

Bless! Love it!

3 comments:

  1. Simon and I still laugh about that poor hapless waitress at the French hotel, and the "ah, oui, le SEL!" lightbulb moment. And every once in a while we'll be eating and he'll ask me to pass him the "sauw-T"

    Oh how the long winter nights fly by, chez nous! :)

    So sorry about Otto. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mais oui. Lorne does that too - oh the mileage from such a classic interlude. Of course the way you told it was infinitely funnier - still makes me laugh. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks also for your thoughts re Otto. Our place still feels incredibly empty without him - who knew a cat could have so much personality? He was like 5 rolled into one. Bless.

    ReplyDelete