About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Jan 31, 2011

The deed is done

I finally succumbed to peer pressure - how could I legitimately continue to snark about something I've not yet tried?

I hereby confirm that, on the 30th day of this, the month of January, 2011, I did officially and (somewhat) voluntarily lose my Facebook virginity. Echoes of shock, horror, disbelief and utter sarcasm have since emanated and ricocheted across the globe, ruffling the virtual pages of aforementioned Book of Face. Oh how the mighty 'luddite' has fallen.

I'm still overwhelmed by the sensation of so much 'noise' coming at me from everyone's news stream (she wrote, trying to get jiggy with the terminology, but likely failing miserably). Notes appearing on my wall....getting emails about notes on my wall, inviting friends and getting notes, emails and postings that they've accepted the invite.....and then getting notes about things that their friends have posted etc. I suspect I haven't yet figured out my notification settings properly because it's like being bombarded with he said, she said, this, that and the other.

I'm not sure if I'm replying to people's comments directly to them or am I posting to their 'wall' for all to see? Can everyone else see the comments I get? I haven't figured out that part yet but it's weird to read a series of incoming postings from a bunch of strangers who happen to be friends of a friend of a friend of a friend...of another friend...who's also a friend....of a friend who's a friend of someone I know. Am I meant to still care about friends 17 times removed?

I'm really not sure this Facebook mallarky is something I'll continue with - I'm still inherently creeped out by the whole idea - but I might have gained half a point on the street-cred meter and at least I'll get up to date with some of what's happening in everyone else's life, rather than feeling so sadly out of the loop.

But you know what, it actually was kind of fun today, just throwing out a sporadic thought, observation, criticism etc and seeing what came back.



2 comments:

  1. Haha...I can see you are having fun with it. I knew you would. It is not such a big deal and can be quite fun. One of us...one of us! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to admit, it's more fun than I expected. The brain washing is near-complete :-)

    ReplyDelete