About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Oct 31, 2013

Happy Hallowe'en!

Okay, so it's not quite Random Photo Friday but I figured today would be a good day for some random Hallowe'en photos, even if it is only Thursday. Besides, I really have little else to report from the past couple of weeks.

For starters, I can honestly say that this is by far the most spooktacularly gruesome Halloween costume (and make-up) I have ever seen!

Soooo gruesome!
Nothing like a skewer through the forehead

It's so vividly disturbing and kudos to this guy for artistically going above and beyond on the gore factor with this get-up. It's like road kill, I don't want to look yet I can't help myself scanning every bloodied, stomach-churning shred of it.

There were some really amazing costumes and I love it that people really get into the whole thing, which is typical of the 'community' feel to Commercial Drive.

(In England we never really celebrated Halloween, not so much as adults anyway. If anything we dressed up for New Years Eve instead. Halloween was always more of a kids’ thing but never as big as it is in North America, although it has definitely grown in popularity over the past 10 years or so. That said, I do remember going to college dressed as a St. Trinian’s schoolgirl back in ..... a while ago.)

Living near Main Street the past 4 years, we definitely noticed a lot of houses fabulously decked out with webs, spiders, ghosts hanging from trees, garden paths lined with skulls and gravestones, not to mention some pretty freaky pumpkin carvings! (I’m so utterly useless when it comes to carving pumpkins - definitely missing that artistic gene.) Kitsilano folks don’t seem to get nearly as involved, too busy doing yoga, I guess!

Here are a few other pics from Saturday night.



Zombie guy during a Thriller flash mob.
So hungry his stomach was growling.

Lorne and I didn’t get dressed up this year, although everybody seemed to get a real kick out of our one token costume piece:

We had a bit of a domestic!

We bought these things from The Spoonman on our first visit to Portland and have worn them a few times since. It’s hilarious watching people do a complete double-take as we pass by, especially at a bar.

We’ve done some great Halloween costumes in the past, though I think my all-time favourite is the nurse costume I made (in the pre-Lorne days) - needless to say I was very popular among the male species in that outfit, they seemed to be drawn to the ‘Nurse Nasty’ idea. (Go figure!).

This won't hurt a bit...muaahaahaaa.

Another of my favourites is from the year we got married (2004) when we went out as The Newlydeads. We joined in the Parade of Lost Souls that night and so many people wanted to take our photograph, it was great! Gotta love the Salvation Army, although it actually felt a little odd/mean to be completely destroying someone’s wedding dress and filling it with dead leaves, spider and rats - but even I have to admit, the dress looked better like this than it did off the rack. (Nevertheless, as with anything I buy second-hand, I wondered what its previous story was; how old was it, who wore it, are they still married, what’s the story of their lives?)

The Newlydeads
 

And, before I wrap up this Halloween theme, here are a couple more costumes – from the past and present….

GI Jane - in all my camo camping gear
Dominatrix and Pimp.

Eh bien, voilà - today I went for zeee French look - Merde! Il est où mon vin rouge? Too bad you can't see the big green sparkley skull broach I'm wearing just below my right shoulder - (you can get ANYTHING at dollar stores!)

Oooh la la!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment