About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Oct 11, 2013

Random Photo Friday: Vibrance and Decay

Darn, I can't think of a particularly creative name for today's Random Photograph, though it's one of my new favourites. I'm a big fan of pattern and texture - especially peely-paint and old, damaged, disregarded things.


A few weeks ago, Lorne and I were driving out of the alley behind our apartment and, as we passed the aged and crumbling makeshift garage at the back of one of the houses just behind our building, I noticed how the last drops of 'golden hour' sunlight picked out every colour and detail of the green ivy leaves against their somewhat decrepit, faded-paint backdrop. I made a mental note to capture a photograph at the next available opportunity - i.e. right moment, right weather, right time of day. Not as easy as it sounds.

It wasn't until last Saturday, at around 4pm, after a shamefully lazy day indoors, I decided to go for a walk along West 4th Ave., leaving the building out of the back way so I could throw some garbage in the dumpster. Plodding up the alley, I once again passed by this scene - having almost forgotten - and the light was just perfect! Of course I didn't have my SLR with me, so this is captured with my Iphone 4. Plus there was a car parked right near it and a big, fat stripey spider had built its enormous web stretching from the trunk of the car over and across to the upper vines of ivy, thus hovering mid-air, right where I wanted to kneel and get a shot. But I knew the afternoon light was quickly fading on that spot so there wouldn't be time to run upstairs and grab my Nikon....and zoom lens (so I could stand well clear of the web).

It took a little careful limboing on my part to get in there without upsetting or attracting the 8-legged beasty (moreso because I'm ridiculously arachnophobic) but I'm so glad I did because I love the way the light not only enhances the colours - and fading paintwork - of this scene, but it also picks out the more subtle details of light and shadow, pattern, texture and the integration of decay and rot, counter-balanced with the vibrant new growth of the three little leaves peeping curiously around the split siding. 

If the weather's right this weekend, I might just have to try again with my Nikon.

No comments:

Post a Comment