About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Jul 16, 2013

Waiting....and bloating.

So I had my pelvic ultrasound last Friday along with an internal ultrasound, 'just to get a better look'. Look at what??? Naturally the radiologist (or whatever it is you call the person carrying out said ultrasound) didn't give me any information, they never really do. At least she was warmer and more polite that the arrogant pig at BC Cancer Agency who's done a couple of the ultrasounds on my boobs before now - he can hardly bring his monosyllabic 'conversation' to anything more than a perturbed grunt.

The whole appointment lasted about 30-40 mins and at some points the discomfort of the exam was exactly the discomfort I've been having on and off for months, concentrated on the right side. I mentioned that both my mum and sister have previously had fibroids, in case that's what I have too. "Nope, I'm not seeing any fibroids," came the response. She was clearly focusing on the right side and asked me at least three times, "you say you haven't had any surgery on your right ovary?....Nothing at all? Not even during the laparoscopy in 2006?"
"No, certainly not that I am aware of," I answered. "The laparoscopy was purely exploratory and identified a small cyst but nothing more than that. There wasn't any surgery involved."

And with only that minimal exchange to go on, I have to wait for my follow-up appointment with my GP this Friday. At least my doctor's pragmatic - if there's anything to report she'll no doubt throw it right at me. I'm trying hard not to bite or pick at my nails in the interim but the ongoing bloating - which seems worse again today - is my football-sized niggling reminder of the wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment