About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Jul 29, 2013

It's all in the genes......or is it?

Last month I posted about my fears/concerns regarding ovarian cancer and the BRCA1 and BCRA2 genes - which, ordinarily, are tumour supressors and work to ensure the stability of a cell's DNA. A mutation of these genes has been linked to hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.

This time last year, my sister Victoria underwent surgery to remove a small piece of breast tissue which (thankfully!!!) turned out to be benign fibrous tissue. At that time her surgeon recommended that, since Vicky was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009 and I too had just had surgery for it (also in my early 40's), we would qualify for genetic testing. Vicky received and submitted the forms several months later and actually had her first consultation just last week. From the conversation I had with her after the appointment, it would appear that neither of us is yet out of the woods from this whole breast cancer scenario nor potential ovarian and/or other cancers. 

It could be purely a random and unfortunate coincidence that two sisters, both in their early forties, get diagnosed with breast cancer just 18 months apart, despite having no previous family history that we know of regarding breast cancer. It could still be hereditary. And there's a small percentage risk that it is indeed related to a mutation of the BCRA1/2 genes. (As it turns out, the fact that my cancer was determined to be estrogen receptor positive (ER+) and Vicky's was negative actually has no bearing on whether or not our cancers are hereditary or have the mutated gene.) 

Since Vicky was the first of us both to be diagnosed and at a slightly younger age, they will concentrate the DNA/gene testing on her. During her appointment she was encouraged to provide a blood sample to be sent for a full DNA mapping - an intense laboratory process that can take up to 6 months. The outcome of her DNA testing will be pretty conclusive as to whether we both have more to worry about and whether I should also get tested, as well as indicating any potential implications for my niece, Brownyn.

I've only had a fairly brief phone conversation with Vicky thus far about her consultation and, from what I understand, there are many factors related to our family medical history - on both my mum and dad's side - that could have implications for us both. Of course it's always difficult to get anyone of an older generation to share that kind of information (and most of those we'd need to ask have already passed on). These things were always kept hush-hush and us Brits are renowned for being terribly evasive around matters related to health (be it physical, mental or emotional) and family history. So, while the lab does their DNA testing for various genetic markers, there is a certain amount of family history that we need to investigate to help piece together the big picture.

We both still find it awkwardly surreal and disconcerting to be in this position; involved in tests, conversations, medical jargon and related statistics that seem so third-person. It's definitely worrying, I won't deny that, yet we both share an odd feeling of detachment from it too, like an out-of-body experience. A sensation of drifting, somewhat dazed and removed, that we can't quite put our finger on. But what we do know is that we're in good hands, medically. We're talking with the right doctors and experts, who are proactively performing tests and further investigations into our genetic make-up and from there they will advise us on what to expect going forward and whether it might involve considering preventive surgery. A thought I'm not ready to entertain just yet, not until we know all the facts.

Just when you think you can breathe a sigh of relief and thank your lucky stars that your cancer was small, caught very early and removed by simple surgery. That's it n'that's all - right? Yeah - not so fast. We're now beginning to realize that, in our case, it's not always quite as simple as that and a little further investigation is needed before we can say we've kicked this thing to the curb.

Hence I cannot find words to express my gratitude for living where we do, for being fortunate enough to have Vicky here, and for access to such high-level medical expertise available to us. Living under different social and economic circumstances, or in a different part of the world, would almost certainly limit - or even deny us - any such help or insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment