About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Apr 1, 2010

Earth - by Martha Jablonski-Jones

I bought a painting today :-) This one, called 'Earth', by Martha Jablonski Jones. I met up with my friend, Astra, a couple of weeks ago for brunch at a funky little pub 'The Whip' a few blocks from home. It was the first time I'd eaten there in ages and while I was chatting away I couldn't help noticing the artwork around the place, especially this image - on the back wall about 8ft behind Astra's right shoulder.

Taking the theme of the electric power lines and poles that are seen in alleys everywhere around Vancouver (including some of the less scenic areas), Martha describes her 'Electric' series as "Animism meets Hydro! Power and all its metaphors, as symbolized by city hydro structures. The balance of power between the man-made and the elemental; living forces of the invisibles" where each painting features these recurring 'characters' in diverse eye-catching, intriguing and sometimes whimsical settings - hinting at a secret life in things we see as commonplace. The painting I bought is also named "Elements: Land". I love the colours and the air of everything blending seamlessly with nature. It makes me think of sitting on a balcony and watching to the world go by at the end of a lazy, hot summer's day.

Today was the last day of Martha's show at The Whip and it was a pleasure to meet her when I went to collect the painting this evening. There are some incredible artists in Vancouver and I'm perfectly happy with this choice....now I just have to figure out where the heck I'm going to hang it.


(Another local artist I really like is Ryan Heshka and I still kick myself for not buying one of his funky retro-comic-book-hero type pieces a few years ago when Vicky and I met him at a fairly small show by several local designers and artists. I think that was part of my push to buy today's painting.)

2 comments:

  1. I love that picture. It's lovely. I am a firm believer that if something beautiful catches your eye...and holds your attention...then you should buy it (if you can!). I hope you enjoy! xx..oh happy easter, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vic - you'll have to come by and check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete