About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Jan 31, 2014

Random Photo Friday: No more WIRE hangers. EVERRRRR!!!!!

While I do have a remarkably random photo for today's post, I first have to introduce my equally wire-hanger-hating alter-ego with this outstanding and classic scene from Mommie Dearest:


Why does this come to mind? Because last night I was getting so bloody irritated that my closet is literally crammed full and it doesn't help that it's hardly a massive closet in the first place - none of that 300 ft. walk-in you see on all those HGTV house hunter shows where you can buy a mansion in the States for less than half of what a 4 sq.ft. manky broom-closet would cost in Vancouver. 

But what I hate most - the one thing that really annoys the hell out of me every single time - not just at home but anywhere, even when I'm looking at clothes in a store......is hangers! I hate, loathe and detest clothes hangers, especially wire hangers. I have a boundless hate-on for goddamn maddeningly irritating wire hangers, which is what's so eerily reminiscent (and oddly amusing) about the freakishly traumatic scene above, courtesy of Faye Dunaway (or Dun Fadeaway as my dad always called her) playing Joan Crawford. I hate hangers at the best of times, but give me those infuriating wire things and I want to start jabbing and poking eyes out, they are so immensely enervating! They get tangled, mangled, jammed and snarled on everything, usually while they're shredding a nice line through a silk blouse or ripping a whole in your favourite dress and hooking several other favourite garments into the mix.

So last night, as I endeavoured to trim down my closet and part with clothes I just don't seem to wear lately, wouldn't you know it - hangers of all shapes, sizes, materials and colours got stuck on one another, tangled, dangling and pulling, tugging and snagging on each other and everything else as I tried unhooking them from the closet rail. The slightest movement just seemed to drag several other items along! Aaarrgghhh!!!!

As useful as they may be, me and hangers share no love whatsoever. And when it comes to those hideously infuriating wire things, well let's just say, we should never, ever be left in a room together. I get all wound up just looking at them. Lorne ends up with a pile of them each month from getting his shirts laundered and it drove me nuts at the last house where we shared a closet and I swear those wire-monstrosities seemed to multiply! Thankfully we now have separate (equally tiny) closets, so I rarely have to see them anyway, but it's safe to say, as useful as hangers are, I really loathe and detest them - and when it comes to those downright AGGRAVATING wire beasts, let's just say, me and ol' Joan Crawford/Dun Fadeaway bear a striking resemblance. Even to the extent of pulling everything from the rails and throwing it like a wild woman into the air behind me. And believe me, PMS and battling unruly hangers is an especially potent mix! As a rule, I avoid tidying/rearranging anything in my closet until I'm home alone - because it seriously ain't pretty and no-one needs to witness that, not even the cats. Heck, even I don't want to be there. And last night was no exception and, in hindsight, perhaps the wrong time of the month to take on the closet. 

The Horrorrrrrr of Hangers.
But here's the funny - and oddly random coincidence. I was telling my friend, Denise, this morning about the whole hanger incident from the night previous, explaining my seething and vengeful wrath for hangers of any kind, especially wire ones, and even shared the above video clip with her to emphasize my point. Then I tried googling stock images of 'pile of coat hangers' that I could maybe use for this post, to emphasize my point.....

So imagine my surprise when Denise left to walk her dog at lunchtime and texts me this photo (above), saying 'thought of you'. Goooo figure! How bloody-well random is that? I mean seriously, what are the odds that I'd be getting myself all in a knot (again) sharing my vehement animosity and utter loathing for wire hangers and relating my general contempt for basically any given variety....and then she goes out for a short walk and comes across..... a pile of hangers! What the.....? And then sends me the photo, not knowing I'd actually been trying to dig up stock relevant images just a few hours earlier! Crazy, eh?

And so there you have it - today's wonderfully random photograph: The Horrroooorrrr of  Hangers!  comes courtesy of my good friend, Denise.

Of course this post wouldn't be complete without an image of the very bane of my existence and fodder for the above wonderfully dramatic scene in a rather psychotic display of 'motherhood'.  These things are currently terrorizing a corner of our bedroom, waiting for Lorne to donate them back to the cleaner when he next picks up his shirts.....which had better be soon!

Oh, and did I mention that I really, really, really HATE wire hangers? 

EVERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. The only wire hangers that enter our house come from the dry cleaner. And they go straight back there, too, with the next load of cleaning. I long ago bought all plastic hangers, and am now slowly replacing those as they break with wooden ones.

    ReplyDelete