About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Nov 22, 2013

Random Photo Friday: Passenger or Driver?

Life is a journey....sometimes it's okay to be the passenger.

I chose this for today's random photo for two reasons: 1) the beautiful scenery* and 2) because, as I looked at it, I was struck by its literal and metaphoric symbolism of travelling in the passenger seat. I also turned to great-god-google in hope of finding the perfect quote that might sum it up nicely, but to no avail.

In particular this image makes me think of travelling along Life's highway; are you driving or are you simply a passenger? I realize the latter is certainly something I've been guilty of - for better or worse - for the past 18 months, i.e. since losing my job and getting a breast cancer diagnosis all around the same time in Spring of last year.

There's a further element of symbolism to the photo too, because - being English - the picture could appear to be taken from the driver's side. In the UK portion of my life I think I did drive things a little more - but maybe that's because I was so much younger, I felt I had more opportunities and often set out to make them happen. Certainly it's what pushed me to go to university, work abroad and move countries.

I know I used to be the driver. I used to participate, make decisions, take chances and do things. (Well, not all the time maybe, or I'd be a well-known voice-over artist by now, but that's another story.) But for most things I've always taken control and actively participated.....haven't I?

On the other hand, riding in the passenger seat for a while hasn't necessarily been a bad thing either, given the mixed and somewhat unpredictable circumstances of the past 18 months; health-wise (for a little while) and particularly work-wise (still). In fact it's the first time I've ever really allowed myself to simply hand over the steering, give up the controls and just go with the flow. A more religious person might say I decided to "Let go and let God." Maybe I did, subconsciously. I know I reached a point where things were shifting and changing direction in ways that were, to some degree, beyond my control. I have no regrets that I moved over to the passenger seat, since I wasn't sure where the ride would even take me. And in that time I've opened my eyes a little more to all that's around me and the importance of people that I really love and care about. I've soaked up the scenery, so to speak, and I believe I needed that break to regroup and accept the things that truly matter to me and how I prefer to live my life.

So to me personally, the above photo is reflective of the passenger I've allowed myself to be, the driver I can/want to be, and the realization that the view can - and should - be just as easily enjoyed from either side.

As we rumble towards the end of another year, I'm feeling a need to re-emerge in the New Year. While the rest has been great, it's time to get my sh*t together and get back into the driver's seat. Take back the controls and steer things where I want them to go - no more drifting and being passive. Time to stop being the passenger.


(*I took this picture through the windshield of our much-loved, much-missed campervan when Lorne and I did a bit of a roadtrip through Alberta a couple of years ago. Lorne always prefers to drive (and is a terrible passenger). Driving the van was more his domain than mine so I always got to sit comfortably in the velvet-armchair passenger seat, to leisurely soak up the incredible views or simply drift away in thoughts and daydreams.)

No comments:

Post a Comment