About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Nov 29, 2013

Random Photo Friday: Open Your Eyes - Fur is Dead!

These poor traumatized dogs are now the 'decorative' trim
on someone's coat, gloves, boots and purse. Maybe yours?

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are,
for they cannot tell us how they feel, 
but they do not suffer less because they have no words." 
Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)

Sadly today's heartbreaking photo* isn't random at all. This pathetic image is merely a glimpse into a barbaric and truly revolting story that is happening right now, across the world, and especially in China - where there are no regulations on animal welfare and cruelty within the fur industry is rampant. At this time of year, the evidence is all around me - so many people willingly wearing fur on their coats, hats, gloves, boots, purses, sweaters, scarves - you name it, chances are, some poor animal died for it!

Few things in life make me feel simultaneously repulsed, infuriated, upset, exasperated and depressed as when I witness somebody wearing fur, oblivious - or wanton ignorance - of the unimaginable suffering that went into creating the 'fashion' items with which they choose to adorn themselves. When I see it, I can't help but visualize the horror-story that has already played out behind the scenes. There might as well be blood all over it, because that's what I see. Even my own mother always proclaimed, "All I've ever wanted is a fur coat", as if by rights she should have one and if a man truly loved her, he'd buy her one. I have never understood that. The very idea horrified me as a child and still turns my stomach to this day.

I find it increasingly difficult not to actually ask, "Do you have any idea of the atrocious suffering involved in creating that (obnoxious) fur trim on your coat?" or, "If you knew what those poor animals have gone through simply to decorate your boots, would you still feel the same about what you're wearing?" A few days ago I stood behind a woman at the local pet store who was doting over her very beautiful german shepherd, Stella.....meanwhile the hood of her coat was trimmed with the fluffed-up shreds of a fellow dog or cat. How do these people fail to draw the line? How is Stella any different to the animals so hideously tortured for that damn fur trim? I just want to scream in anger - and I want to cry for feeling powerless to stop this. So many times I've thought of buying a fur coat at a thrift store, dousing it in thick, red paint and wandering through downtown Vancouver, or Richmond. I want to make people see the absurd and disgusting reality and stand up AGAINST it! It's absolutely unacceptable to treat other living beings this way. Who the hell do we think we are??? I'm ashamed to be part of the same f*cked-up race that inflicts such heinous acts of cruelty.

Puppies have the softer fur that people love :-(
So many different animals die simply for the luxury of their fur (because it looks better on us than it does on them?) But, what if it was your pet dog or cat? Even the Humane Society confirms, "the primary use of dog and cat fur is not for full-length fur coats, but for fur-trim parkas, gloves, hats, toys, and other accessories. Fur-covered animal figurines also frequently use dog and cat fur.....In Canada, there are no labeling requirements for fur garments. Thus, it is entirely possible for cat and dog fur to be sold in this country, without anyone finding out." In other words, it's all perfectly legal in Canada! Shame on you Canada!!! But let's face it, what do you expect from a country that still includes clubbing to death more than a quarter million defenceless seal pups on its national calendar of events? Why would they find any fault with other aspects of this despicable industry? Canada was largely founded on the fur trade and I'm astonished and dismayed that attitudes here haven't changed - which makes me proud to be from the UK, where fur farms and the like were banned long ago!

In China, such is the excessive popularity of fur products that, to keep up with the increasing demand, millions of domestic pets are actually stolen each year and shipped in horrendously overcrowded crates to fur farms where they're kept in absolute squalor before being ruthlessly slaughtered and frequently skinned alive. Read the report by PETA on the Chinese fur industry - although other countries are far from innocent - and this brutality is being inflicted on many more animals besides cats and dogs.

Many of these cats are stolen and still wearing
collars. Ruthlessly crammed into these small
cages, they await a despicably cruel fate which
will see their pelts torn off and used for 'fashion'.
These aren't random photos at all and that in itself breaks my heart. Sadly there are many such places where these tragic images are a daily occurrence - just another day at the office. But, believe it or not, I don't want this post to be full of graphic images, because I don't want anyone who might happen upon this, to simply turn away without hearing what I'm desperately trying to say on behalf of those poor animals who simply cannot speak for themselves. Maybe you have pets at home - would you wear them too?

If you've read this far, then you know you have at least one ounce of compassion in your heart, so I'm not going to repeat all the disturbing details of the sadistic and heartless atrocities. Instead, I'd like to offer some food for thought from a few people/agencies who are doing everything they can to ask you to please look, think and see the truth of just what goes on and take a firm stand against it! And, since the more graphic images are what turn most people away, one advertising agency, Ogilvy & Mather, has recently released an award-winning campaign for PETA that takes a different approach to educating people. It's especially targeted towards Asian buyers who, as a whole, are the world's largest consumers and exporters of fur products. Take a look for yourself at this extraordinary and unique approach:


I'd also like to share this incredible award-winning documentary, called "Witness" by Tribeofheart.org which details - with humour and heartfelt compassion - the story of Eddie Lama, who confesses he never really cared much for animals and frequently tormented them himself when he was younger - until a few days spent looking after a friend's cat changed his whole perspective. Eddie soon begins a one-man personal crusade to educate others and brings an endearing message of hope that we can all do our part to stop this sickening cruelty:

I couldn't embed the video here so please use this link:
http://www.tribeofheart.org/sr/sr_witscreeningroom_english.htm


Please take a moment to open your heart and mind and show your compassion. If, by posting this on my pathetic blog, I can change just one person's mind, then I am eternally grateful for that small mercy.

I am literally begging anyone who'll listen, please find it in your heart to open your eyes, educate yourself and teach those around you about the truth. Take a stand against this abhorrent cruelty and refuse to wear, buy or otherwise support any fur products. Together we have the power to bring an end this unnecessary and obscene suffering. There are millions of animals literally dying for our help!


Other informative links:


*The photo in today's post is not my own - but it is real and it IS happening right now! Are you supporting this violent and pitiful slaughter?

No comments:

Post a Comment