About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Sep 7, 2013

Three Times the Charm

Wohooo! I've finally been given the all-clear after a third....and last (I hope).... ultrasound on my left boob and surrounding lymph nodes. The couple of areas they were keeping an eye on since July last year, and again in February, were checked once more last week and a follow-up visit with the insipid oncologist Dr. N confirmed the results that (thankfully) there really is nothing to worry about. He even added, "I suspect the only reason your lymph nodes are so easy to feel is because you're very slim".

Ordinarily I could have taken that 'very slim' thing as a compliment, except that he hadn't yet done that one last examination of my boobs, so I knew the ol' lumpy-bumpy comment would soon follow - again! And he didn't disappoint. In fact, with two trainees also there to check things out, Dr N surpassed himself this time by adding 'with no disrespect intended'...that my left boob is particularly lumpy-bumpy.....cobbley.....even a little gristly in places. What the f*ck! "Hello, I am still in the room you know!" (I wish I'd said.)

Bloody charming! Not satisfied with referring to them as lumpy-bumpy on my previous visits, he decided to outdo himself. Cobbley was certainly bad enough, but gristly??? Like some unpleasant, semi-masticated glob of meat spat out on the side of a plate? Are you kidding me? Jerk!

So, as you can imagine, any whaff of a compliment intended by the 'very slim' comment was soon beaten to a pulp by the descriptors that followed. At least the two female attendees had the diplomacy and discretion not to add anything further in that regard - perhaps sensitive to the unabashed ignorance of one's boobs being so mercilessly critiqued.

Needless to say, I finished off the appointment by shaking his hand and saying, 'No disrespect, but I hope never to see you again.' Which could be taken several ways.

That aside, I am obviously very relieved to have another lingering element of the past 15 months over with. No cancer to see here folks - yay!!!! And breathe.....

Apart from the follow-up pelvic ultrasound booked for next Thursday, I am thankfully DONE! I'm sure next week's will be just fine too, the bloating finally stopped weeks ago and I've been feeling really good lately. Heck, I didn't even gain weight on vacation, so there's a first. Quite a relief too since my weight seemed to be climbing upwards for a few weeks there.

Outside of Tamoxifen, all that remains of this ridiculous cancer ordeal is next week's appointment and the final verdict on the gene testing currently underway, for which the results may not be determined for a few months yet. Safe to say I will be very glad to close this chapter once and for all.

(Oh and, for the record, Lorne assures me he would never for one minute consider my boobs to be remotely 'cobbley' and definitely not 'gristly'. He has to say that but, believe me, I've kept a careful hand on my boobs these past 15 months, and can assure you those words have never come to mind for me either.)

No comments:

Post a Comment