About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Nov 18, 2012

A brief photo catch-up

I don't want this blog to become all about breast cancer, so I thought I'd do a quick post of some of my favourite photographs taken during my long absence. Okay, even I can't deny that I've had a distinct lack of....not so much enthusiasm but rather....the right creative headspace these past few months (with trying to wrap my head around the whole cancer thing) but I'm back, Baby. I've sorely missed that feeling of wanting to get out there with my camera and I desperately want (and need) to get back into it.

Anyway, here are a few shots - not least because I know my Mum's been hoping to see some more of my pictures (and Vicky's so good at regularly posting great photos on her blog). I've been a bit more diligent lately about posting pics to Facebook than I have on this blog or on my Flickr account - need to change that.

CUBA (January 2012)
Having previously been twice to the same part of Cuba, it was great to explore a different part of the country this last time which included an excellent 2-day trip across country to the city of Trinidad. Wonderful for photographic opportunities but especially to really get a feel for the country and its incredible people as a whole. I'm never quite comfortable with seeming like a wealthy, fancy-pants tourist, which is surely how we must be perceived by the locals since they live such a basic, antiquated and impoverished third world lifestyle, but I love their strong sense of community. They live an incredibly tough life with so little of the everyday foods, services and 'stuff' that we take for granted. I (personally) enjoyed the break from everything hi-tech, rushed and consumerist - but of course, that's easy for me to say since I have a choice about that. They don't.


City of Trinidad, Cuba


Where sleeping dogs lie - Trinidad, Cuba

English homework - Trinidad, Cuba

Trinidad, Cuba

SPRING FLOWERS (around Vancouver April/May 2012)
The cherry blossoms around Vancouver were stunning this Spring - though it always means allergy-hell for poor Lorne :-(

Beautiful cherry blossoms line many streets across Vancouver.

Magenta magnolia.

Bronwyn with a dog that looked like he could eat her whole.
Luckily he's a gentle giant, apparently, called Caesar.

ENGLAND (June 2012)
There are still LOTS more pictures I need to add from our trip this summer, especially from our travels around Scotland too - but here are a couple of England pics for starters:
 
These beautiful, vivid red poppies were in a field across opposite
my brother's house in High Ackworth, Pontefract (UK).

More poppies from the same field in
High Ackworth, Pontefract (UK).

Donkey rides at Cleethorpes Beach, England (my home town).
Still going strong after all these years.


The Furry Free-Loaders (aka. Mishka, Mel and Louis)
When we first adopted Mel and Louis in Oct. 2011 through VOKRA (Vancouver's Orphan Kitten Rescue Association) they were just 5 months old, their names were Aldo and Stirling respectively and it was hard to tell them apart. Naturally we changed their names and have finally learnt to identify one from the other. It's fun to watch their personalities evolve while they remain so incredibly close and affectionate with each other - and they're great with Mishka. In all her 15 years and the 4 previous cats that have passed through her life, Mishka is really quite content with these bafoons and they are constantly seeking her affection. Having these past few months off and spending so much time with these guys has been an absolute gift, especially to be able to look after Mishka's every need now that she's elderly, needs careful dietary support and is on a regular regime of medicines. I swear the energy of being around the boys has even slowed down her aging.

A couple of these pics aren't great because they're taken with my Iphone (more for expediency before the cats changed position) but I've managed to catch a few with my Nikon too. I would love to do more pet photography so these guys are giving me lots of practise.

Louis curled around a sleeping Mel.


Mirror Image. (Mel left, Louis right)

Bond...Mel Bond. Handsome devil.

Louis & Mel - when they could both still fit in the kitty condo.

It's tough being this good-looking but even a super model
like Mishka still finds time to relax, especially in the sun.

Mishka's favourite spot all summer, basking in the shaft of
sunlight at the back door. Alas the change in seasons has
seriously eaten into her sun-worshipping schedule.

The 3 amigos


Look who stowed away in Lorne's luggage!

No comments:

Post a Comment