About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Sep 1, 2012

My sister & I share everything....even breast cancer.


Hard to believe it's almost a year since I posted anything on this blog. I'm not really sure what happened. I guess part of me felt like I had nothing really to say, no words of wisdom, nothing hilarious to recount, little motivation to write anything out in glorious detail and no big "aha" moment or anything remotely profound to share. If anything, things were just ticking over nicely for a while and so, being the professional procrastinator that I am, update blog simply became one more item gathering dust on my 'To Do' list.

And suddenly it was April. Spring slowly endeavoured to make an appearance, the days started to stretch just a little longer, the Easter Bunny was on his way and I lost my job at the Canadian Cancer Society. Boom!

Coro's Gail Platt (Actress Helen Worth)
Following a couple of awkward conversations with the Human Resources manager (an extremely fake woman who bears an uncanny and rather unfortunate resemblance to Coronation Street's, Gail Platt) and mumblings of 'I just wish we had something else to offer you here', I signed off on a reasonable severance package, cleared my desk and left quietly that same day.

I was hugely disappointed - not least because I was enjoying my work and the feeling of finally contributing to something significantly more worthwhile than lining the bloated pockets of wealthy corporate execs - but I'd be lying if I said my spidey senses hadn't already started to sense that something along the lines of 'restructuring' might be afoot.

While I certainly felt let down, deflated and abandoned, it also meant that I could take the next couple of months off, Lorne & I would still do our 3-week UK trip in June as planned, after which I'd be eligible for EI while looking for work. So all-in-all, the prospect of a 3-month break wasn't actually looking too bad.

Imagine then, the smack of bitter irony when - just as my severance period came to an end - I received a diagnosis of breast cancer! Double-Boom! - if you'll excuse the pun. WTF???

Even as I sit here now, typing this out several months later, I confess I still haven't quite managed to wrap my head around it all.

Let me start by backtracking slightly......albeit I'll endeavour to be concise or I might never finish this post.

May 2012:
Enjoying my time off and still receiving full pay and benefits, I naturally thought it prudent to catch up on any dental visits, eye exams, physio, chiro and any other medical appointments, such as dutifully booking my annual screening mammogram. Oddly enough I had noticed a small, firm lump in the upper corner of my right breast a few months earlier but figured it was likely just a lymph node or perhaps a small cyst. At first I could only really feel it around the 'time of the month' but gradually it seemed to be there all the time (just a teeny-tiny pea-shaped thing) so I planned to mention it during my May 11th mammo anyway. Three days beforehand, during an appointment with my new GP (my first visit with her since my previous Doc had retired), she carried out a routine breast exam and also felt the bump, which I told her had been there at least a couple of months. She checked deeper into my armpit/breast area and thought she could feel another in the same area, perhaps a little smaller. 'Just as a precaution' she referred me for a diagnostic ultrasound to follow the scheduled mammogram.

Despite the fact my sister, Victoria, was diagnosed with breast cancer just a couple of years ago, I can't deny I was nevertheless thinking (hoping?) this was all just very routine and would turn out to be nothing - still believing in my security blanket that breast cancer isn't in our family history. So I was a little surprised when, further to my May 16th ultrasound, it was suggested they follow up with a biopsy 'as an added precaution'.

All this talk of precautions and 'ruling things out' was starting to unnerve me a little and suddenly I wasn't sure what to think. I planned to meet with my sister and get her take on things, especially since she'd already started on this same route late 2009 but, at the same time, I didn't want to be getting unnecessarily alarmed or come across as over-anxious. People regularly go for more tests and biopsies (don't they?) and it was probably just a cyst or fatty tissue or something (wasn't it?). Besides, I also knew Vicky had a lot on her plate and getting together at relatively short notice wasn't easy. Perhaps surprisingly - now that I look back on it - I wanted to talk about it face-to-face not really over the phone, so with not being able to meet up and chat in person, I didn't mention it, still expecting that surely it's all just very routine and probably nothing to worry about anyway, so why not just wait until later, when I actually know for sure? That typically stoic british, stiff upper-lip thing of 'not wanting to make a fuss'. Not always the best approach, I might add.

The morning of May 22 I endured close to 90 minutes of staring at the stark and dirty walls of a treatment room while a female doctor and nurse poked, jabbed, stabbed & punched me with what sounded like a broken, dollarstore cowboy pistol. Despite trying to focus my mind on creating drawings from the dents and scuffs on the bare walls, and no matter how much they injected me with more freezing goop, I could still feel every poke, scrape and jammed-up pistol in all its painful, scary glory - especially when said gun decided it wasn't going to retract! That was at the 60-min mark and I'd already had just about enough. Having tried to remain calm and statue-still thus far, I felt my armour fall apart when the Dr began huffing, puffing and tugging at the gun, now embedded in my breast tissue. "Could you call Dr X in here right away, I can't get this thing out." Sooo NOT what I needed to hear. Suddenly the tears flowed, I began to tremble uncontrollably and just about fainted. A flurry of nurses brought me tissues and a cold, damp facecloth for my forehead, with smelling salts on standby.

Amid this kerfuffle Dr X finally arrived only to exclaim, in a cold, matter-of-fact tone, "Well, there's only one way it can go - it has to come out!" A renewed wave of nausea and light-headedness came over me. "You're just going to have to hold tight and pull it hard." I almost threw up.

I came out of there dazed, bruised. slightly faint and with a small bag of frozen peas stuffed in my bra (yes, they actually gave me a little baggy of frozen peas!) to help minimize swelling. It all felt very weird and I wandered down West Broadway in a somewhat bewildered state, feeling like I deserved a sugary/cakey treat after going through all that, yet still too wobbly to really believe I'd enjoy it.

And so began the wait....of more than a week...during which I did a surprisingly good job of staying neutral, feeling that no amount of worrying would change the outcome one way or the other, so why get myself all worked up by dwelling on the unknown. Of course it still niggled from the back of my mind as I endeavoured to steer myself away from thoughts of how Vicky'd gone through all this too, just over 2 years ago, only it didn't turn out so well.

May 30 - With a greeting of, "Hello there, so did they contact you with a surgery date?" I abruptly discovered my new Doctor/GP is desperately lacking in diplomatic bedside manner!

"Surgery?" (i.e. What the f*ck???)
"Yes, your biopsy results came back positive for breast cancer." Holy cow, she just waded right on in, blurting out facts-in-hand without offering up even the slightest preamble to soften the blow. Nicely done....Not!

"Wow.... erm.... well.... no - I haven't heard anything yet. I didn't know."

She pulled up a chair and quickly skimmed over the 5-page report; a blur of technical jargon, lab-speak and references to 'biomarkers' and 'estrogen receptors'. I scanned the words on the page but nothing seemed to make sense. That is, until she hit the header "Diagnosis" - circled in pen and marked with an asterix.


There it was in capital letters - loud and clear. I felt my insides pull tight as blood retreated from my face. Still the doctor rushed full steam ahead; "Bla, bla.... positive for cancer.... always verified by two doctors.... bla, bla.... so the second signature right here confirms the diagnosis.... How are you doing? You seem to be okay with this." (Did she really just say that? I was more more stunned than 'okay'.)

"Well, I guess I knew coming in here that this could go either way, I suppose I'm just trying to wrap my head around it."

"So the next step is you'll meet with a surgeon, probably sometime in the next few weeks, they'll call you. Okay?"

Apparently my 10 minutes were up.

"Do you have any questions?"
"Erm, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure what to ask."

And that was it. Wham, bang, thank you ma'am. I couldn't decide if she was just blunt, callous, uncomfortable or just eager to get me out of the door. I suspect all of the above.

I wandered out into the waiting area and sat down. I texted my sister - "Ductal carcinoma, same as you :-(" She called me right away, clearly shocked but asking practical questions - based on her own expertise - and being ever the caring big sister.

"Did they say it's In Situ?"
"No, I don't think so, I'm not sure."
"You should ask. You need to know if it's In Situ - DCIS."

I went back to the desk to see if I could ask the doctor just one more question. They were hesitant but the doctor heard me ask and came over with the report in-hand.

"I'm wondering if the results say it's In Situ."
"In Situ? No it's not, your cancer is invasive." She pointed to the capitalized diagnosis we'd glossed over earlier. "See here, it says invasive. You have ductal carcinoma but it's invasive, not in situ. Okay? I'll give you a copy of the report." And off she went, whipped off a photocopy and shuffled me away with it.

And that was it. May 30th, 2012 around 9:45am I found out that, at 44 years old and just like my dear sister before me, I too have breast cancer.

Well this officially sucks!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a horrifying experience, Katrina. Vicky told me about your diagnosis, but you kept shtum about it on FB, and I haven't even LOOKED at people's blogs in months so I didn't see this post until today. How are you doing? Last I heard you'd had your surgery and your follow-up stuff was going well but I'm not sure where that stands now. You and V have both had so much going on this year. 2012 has sucked for a number of people I know, actually. I hope its end is better than its middle was for you, and that 2013 shapes up far better in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy. It's all been a bit surreal, especially those first few weeks where it was all happening so fast, one appointment after another. An odd 'relief' actually to share it all with Vicky, based on her own experiences. Crazy really and no previous family history of breast cancer.

    Small confession - I actually only posted this recently, I'm trying to get caught up and have several posts in the works that I'll be adding over the next few days.

    Amen to 2013 being a better year for all.

    ReplyDelete