About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Apr 21, 2011

I take it back....

So those who know me - and are quite likely on my Friends list - will appreciate that my last post Facebook Schmacebook is now.....errr......water under the bridge. Although it's not that my FB page lies dead and buried, gathering dust under a pile of incomplete posts (like my blog seems to have been for the past few months), but rather that it is surprisingly alive and well thank you very much and I'm actually not even sure why or how it gained momentum.

The most surprising advantage is that I've had more frequent and regular contact with family in the UK - albeit in short, sarcastic, piss-taking bursts - than I have in years, it's great! I'm even bouncing back and forth with friends I know well, quite well or simply commenting sometimes on the comments of friends' friends. Plenty of that great British humour and it's so incredibly refreshing, as well as nostalgic. Heck, I'm in danger of becoming a Facebook Bunny - or whatever the true FB insiders might call it. Or maybe not, since my decidedly anorexic list of friends must put me firmly in the 'saddo' category but I'm fine with that. I actually have no desire to rally up a bunch of names of people I hardly know and care about even less, just to appear 'popular'.

I still find Facebook somewhat freaky and I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact I've started using it as much as I have. While I'll never be as bad as a certain friend that I've actually had to block, since he posts almost as often as he blinks, I can't deny I nevertheless catch myself briefly logging in to start the day with a quick update on who's said what and what stupid comment I can post, while I get ready for work. The time difference keeps it interesting too, with half of my family/friends finishing their day as mine begins and vice versa. Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on the subject for fear of sounding like the FB nerd I dread to become.

One unfortunate side however, is wanting to 'friend' a good friend on FB, but I don't want to be inhibited about what I post seeing that some of her friends are people I've worked with but don't know all that well. I don't want to be their friends too, just by virtue of sharing the same sterile 8-5 drudgery in a place I can't wait to leave behind. (Well, in my case and for the most part it's been more like 8am-10pm, no breaks.)

Funnily enough I still find I hate the thought of Twitter in much the same way as I steered clear of FB. AT the end of the day life's really too short to get sucked into another vortex of endless connectivity, eating voraciously into my aspirations of creativity. Huge downside to Facebook? It swallows up time!

I need to back off from Facebook and get to writing some new posts here...or at least finishing the oodles of postings I've started.....but haven't finished.

Status update?: Get a life!  Besides, spontaneity, creativity and conversations with family & friends should be presented in something greater than 120 characters tapped out mid-breakfast.

3 comments:

  1. You are a FB junky...you may as well admit it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! Facebook has its benefits but a lot of downsides. It adds in a whole new level of censorship when you have work "friends" as friends. Hence the reason why I don't status update I guess. What am I going to write "I'm so awesomely happy to go to work and be awesome!!!"

    And maybe I should un-friend just so you can friend me :)

    And ditto on the Twitter comment. Twitter is for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew, good to know I'm not on my own. Maybe you can un-friend those friends for not being up to scratch on the awesome-ometer. :-)

    I'm still careful about what I put on FB since it feels too much like an open book - but a little (inevitable) sarcasm has nonetheless slipped through from time-to-time. Oooops.

    ReplyDelete