About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


May 7, 2010

Seven days and still waiting.....


So it's been 7 days since my May 1st birthday....when I turned f...f...f...forty...two. Yes 42....which, according to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, is supposed to represent the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. Really? Well my question is.....does that start anytime soon? I mean it's been a week already and so far nothing...nada, zilch, zip, diddley squat and bugger all. Come on, I only have another 358 days to go, time is of the essence!

Don't get me wrong, I had a great birthday - the weather was sunny and we sat outside on Vicky & Mark's lovely rooftop deck, enjoying a glass of wine and eating home-cooked snacks, treats and fabulously decadent chocolate birthday cake that Lorne bought at Fratellis orgasmic bakery no less, along with the first chocolate cornflake cakes I've eaten in y-e-a-r-s! that Bronwyn and Vicky made :-) Bronwyn also made me a lovely birthday card. She adores our cats!

This is the back of the card, which shows all four cats, including our much missed Lucy.

Oddly enough, the blue collar with gold name tag that Bronnie has drawn in the center is exactly the collar I bought for Lucy to wear in the first few years I had her.....but Bronwyn's never seen that collar, in fact none of the cats have actually worn one in years. There's a hidden surprise with this card too - the 'pop-up' picture once you unfold it..... A remarkable headshot of Lucy. I'm really quite touched that she made this for me, it's so thoughtful and really cute - not to mention that she's quite the artist!

Of course it's a little less 'cheeky' than this one that Bronwyn chose for me last year. Nice :-)


And since I'm on a birthday card roll, I have nooo idea where Vicky and Mark managed to find this hunk-o-hunk-o-fabulous Elvis card, where the black around Elvis is velour no less. Classic! I think this one (& the cat card) has got to get framed.

But enough about cards. For my birthday dinner (which we did Tuesday night) Lorne had bought tickets for a 4-course dinner + scotch-tasting event at Vancouver's Dubrulle Culinary Institute through a local whisky lovers group Rare Drams It was an excellent and really delicious 4-course meal cooked by students of the Culinary Institute and the accompanying scotch tasting enlightened me to a few new and rare 'drams' that I'd actually not heard of but hope to have tingle my tastebuds again some time soon. After opening with a smooth Glenandrew upon arrival, we were treated to Clan Denny from both Speyside and Isla with the starter (both were good but the Isla was outstanding), then Tomintoul 14 yr old with the next course. With the entree we were treated to the delectable blend of McAllan & Laphroaig (a marriage truly made in heaven) and a great dinner was rounded off with the rather excellent Ardberg 18yr old. Bliss. I still can't believe it took me so long to get around to discovering scotch but better later than never, that's what I say! Could it be these delights are part of my life, universe and everything enlightenment?

And here I am, almost a full 7 days into being 42 and still waiting on my 'Answer'. Tum de dum de dum.......any time now would be good......la-de-daa-de-dum.....yup....aaaany-time sooon would be great.....hmmmmm deee da diddley deee......

So while I'm waiting for that pearly wisdom, I'll just run with Terry's analogy of being 42.....i.e. 'two 21-year olds rolled into one'. Hey, works for me!

3 comments:

  1. Aw, happy belated birthday, Katrina! LOVE the Bill Bailey card. The scotch tasting sounds brilliant, too.

    If you find the Answer, be sure to share it with those of us who missed it, won't you? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good birthday dinner...sounds good (not sure about the scotch part though...). I hate to break it to you, but 42 is just the same as 41 except you are older. Full of cheery thoughts, me. Vic xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wendy :-) Even writing about the dinner+scotch tasting was making me drool - not a pretty sight, but I guess I should get used to it now that I'm just older - thanks Vic :-)

    Maybe I should write a book before my next birthday, full of obvious and patronizing platitudes. I'll call it 'The Answer' and I'll get a bunch of terribly hokey actors to make up an accompanying DVD. Oh wait, has that been done already, it sounds kinda familiar?

    ReplyDelete