About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Mar 21, 2010

Spring is in the air

After a horribly long week at work in which I reached a new all-time high in overtime hours, sitting glued to my computer (& my brutal office chair) from 8am straight through to 11:15pm, literally - except for just a couple of pee-breaks, I was allowed to take the day off on Friday. A small appeasement given the fact I'd already worked a full 40hr week in just 3 days and then still worked an 11hr day on Thursday - so I was pretty shattered, but thankfully my 'day off' also coincided with it being a beautiful, sunny spring day.

I started the day with a visit to the dentist to get a recently chipped tooth fixed (that'll teach me for trying to chew off my shackles), followed a somewhat embarrassingly drooly attempt at a coffee on my way to another ultra-sound bum massage chez the Chiropractor - who's convinced my problem is due to an overzealous muscle spasm that he can cure within a few sessions - and it actually does seem to be helping. Thankfully my chiro guy (someone Lorne's been seeing for years) has a great sense of humour....just as well really given the potential for extremely awkward and stilted chit-chat in a situation like that.

Anyhooo, since the mild weather is bringing out more blossoms and flowers each day, I grabbed my camera and went out for a while in the afternoon, just around the streets where we're living. I find it so relaxing to just lose myself behind the lens for a few hours and I'm quite pleased with the results - although I seriously have to start learning the names of more flowers. Simply identifying them as 'white flower', or 'pretty fuschia floral thingy' just isn't going to cut it. Of the few names that I do know, are magnolias - like these fine examples, which are currently in full party mode at the house right opposite ours.

And the cherry blossoms (Lorne's nemesis when it comes to allergies) which were so late getting started last year that they very nearly missed the annual Festival held in their honour - and might well be all but finished by the time we start this year's.




But these delicate white flowers (also a type of magnolia?) were my favourites and the late afternoon sun created perfect lighting.
I put these latest pics on my Flickr site and already received positive feedback.

Even tulips, which don't normally start until late April/early May, have already started popping up all around town, so I'm sure I'll have more photos to post in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, here are a couple more daffodil shots, just for good measure. They always remind me of Easter and.......aawwww crap, I just remembered today is probably Mother's Day in England. It's been so busy at work I've hardly been able to keep up with the days, weeks and months as they whizz right by my head. Happy (belated?) Mother's Day, Mum. Look, I got you flowers :-)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures! Good you managed to get a day off...all work and no play is not a good way to live! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Vic. Yeah, the work thing is frustrating, not least because there's just soooo much of my own stuff that I want to do outside of the regular 9-5 (or rather 8am-8pm in my case). So much creative energy just fighting to get out :-)

    ReplyDelete