About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Jan 2, 2015

Random Photo Friday: Happy New Year, 2015!

Spotted during a New Year's Day walk along Vancouver's Seawall.

Holy tempes fugit, Batman - how did we end up here again so soon?!!! Another orbit completed (as my brother said) and back to day 1 (well day 2 to be exact) of a New Year  already. These things seem to roll around faster each year. I feel like someone's secretly hacked an extra 100 days off each year for the past ten. Heck, I struggle to account for what on earth I did with the last 365 days. I know they were - for me personally - mostly pretty good, and for that I am extremely thankful. While I might not have felt at all well in the month running up to Christmas, courtesy of several weeks of intense, unexplained stomach pains and strong waves of nausea, the cause of which  has yet to be determined - I am pleased to report that my Christmas was not ruined by it. Since taking a course of buscopan (to relieve the intensity of the gastro-intestinal muscle spasms) I've actually felt pretty good for the past week and have certainly more-than-made-up-for any reduced appetite endured in the weeks preceding the hols. Suffice to say, I've stuffed my gob full of all the usual Christmassy culprits; Quality Street, mince pies, stollen, croissants, marzipan, nuts, stinky cheese & crackers, crisps and basically anything else I could lay my hands on.

Red Racer Gingerhead - Who knew you
could bottle the taste of Christmas?
Not to mention the 'spirits' side of the seasonal festivities, mostly in the form of scotch from our collection, a bottle of Spicebox Pumpkin Spiced Whiskey from Vicky and Mike, the obligatory mulled wine plus some rather delectable brews, including this one from one of my fave local breweries - Red Racer. Their "Gingerhead" Gingerbread Stout tastes like Christmas in a glass, deliciously spicy - almost plum-pudding like - but without being too overwhelming or in your face. I certainly won't object to finding it in my Christmas stocking next year, that's for sure.

Anyway, for now there's a whole new year ahead.....who knows what remains to be written?

No comments:

Post a Comment