About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Jul 24, 2014

Meet Metformin - Tamoxifen's BFF

Just over a month ago, I wrote a rather exasperated update about my continued frustrations with the weight gain and distinct difficulty in getting any of it to shift, despite my pumped-up workouts. Well, since then, I've been working out even harder - to the point I'm putting in approx. 40% more effort and have even added an extra weekly workout to my usual 3-4. Now, ordinarily (i.e. for the past 15 years) such increase in effort would easily have the weight dropping off me. Even early last year, I dropped about 10 lbs within just a few weeks simply from a slight increase in effort and switching things up a little. But that was then and this is now - and heaven knows I'm probably putting more into my workouts now than I ever have......and, while I have FINALLY started to notice an improvement - the effects are nevertheless somewhat minimal and slooooooow.

That said, in doing a little more research into Tamoxifen and its apparent tendency to 'encourage' weight gain, I happened to come across some rather interesting information about Metformin, a drug ordinarily used for people with type-2 diabetes or other signs of insulin resistance. In fact, I even took it myself for quite a while about 10 years ago when I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) when my weight was going up and my skin erupted in acne (something I've been prone to all my life - for worse....and even worse.) Back then I was prescribed a pretty high dose of metformin (about 2500mg/day) by my dermatologist in an effort to help clear the acne. And, while I didn't necessarily notice much improvement in that department, I did happen to shed close to 12 lbs! Not that I needed to lose 15, in fact it was getting a little ridiculous how much my clothes began hanging on me, but I felt fine on the meds (mostly - except for when they tried upping the dose to 3,000 mg/day which soon had me feeling like utter crap).

Anyhoooo, it turns out metformin has medically proven benefits in cancer-fighting, particularly in breast cancer and especially in combination with tamoxifen. How about that? And WHY has this never been mentioned to me before? Thanks to Dr. Google I've found quite a few reports on just how beneficial it is against ER+ breast cancer, even for those without type-2 diabetes, especially in enhancing the estrogen-fighting properties of tamoxifen. And of course the other nice benefit to metformin? - It helps you lose weight, or at least keep it somewhat under control anyway.

So I booked to see my Doc, explained my utter frustrations about the weight gain and the apparently futile efforts of my increased workouts, and we talked about the metformin thing. She agreed with the research, it's definitely been found to be beneficial in enhancing the cancer-fighting properties of tamoxifen and it probably wouldn't hurt to get me started on a low dose - 500mg/day. I was so happy - I literally thought I would have to beg and cry to get a prescription, not least because it's not like I'm fat, just that I've gained a few pounds and, despite my best efforts, am struggling to keep it from continuing going up.

Well, it's been about 3 weeks and I can honestly say - "YAY!!!!!!!" - I am finally starting to see some improvements. I've been pushing the workouts (despite the chronic glute issues in my left bum-cheek that have had me in physio the last several weeks - but that's another story) and I've felt determined to get things under control before we head off to England in a couple of weeks for my brother's wedding....and at long last, all things are finally combining to create a noticeable improvement - in my health, size, wellbeing and improved self-esteem. I feel like I'm back in control once again, even if it is with the help of metformin but hey - from what I've read - there are only benefits to be enjoyed from my low dose and to think it even plays nicely with tamoxifen, what more could I ask for?

Anyway, blah, blah, blah - I'm pleased to report that, while my actual weight has changed very little (which is as I suspected because I'm increasing muscle mass), the needle has finally dropped a couple of pounds - wohoo! Not that weight is so much what bothers me as size and the fit of my clothes. So I also took my measurements the other day and compared them to a month ago - I've lost about 1" on my waist, more than half an inch off each thigh and about an inch around my hips/bum. And that's already enough to make my clothes look and feel so much better - which makes me mentally feel much better too. I can't believe it, I was seriously beginning to doubt I'd get things back under control. And it's not like my weight/size sky-rocketed upwards, don't get me wrong. But relative to my usual stats and the fact I've managed to stay that way for nearly 20 years and that working out like I have been doing would normally be rewarded with much greater improvements, in a much shorter space of time, I am nevertheless very happy to see a small but positive change in the right direction. What's more, I feel great!

The Dr. gave me a 3-month prescription of metformin, so that will at least see me through our vacation (in England and Prague) which I'm glad about. It's always hard when you're eating out all the time, not to mention the fact there are some fantastic Czech beers that I know we're going to be 'sampling'....in varying quantities, as one must - especially on vacation, right?

So YAY! So far so good and hopefully I won't have to feel like a badly over-stuffed sausage in the dress I want to wear at Graham's wedding :-). And for anyone else out there who's struggling against the 'spread' that comes with tamoxifen, I hope this will help. Not that adding metformin is the absolute answer, it's certainly not. You also have to put in the work - and it's definitely worth the extra effort, mentally as well as physically!

No comments:

Post a Comment