About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Feb 20, 2013

And breathe.........

Phew! Today I feel I can finally breathe the big sigh of relief that I was actually hoping to feel a week ago.

After my third and final (for a little while) breast appointment, five people poking and prodding my boobs and armpits and a long couple of weeks harbouring enormous underlying fears of imminent bad news, I am very pleased to report that all seems to be perfectly well :-)

Turns out my family doctor - who is somewhat over-zealous in her medical manner - is perhaps being a little dramatic about the firm lymph node in my left armpit. Thankfully - and I mean a HUGE thanks to my lucky stars, higher power and whatever else - it seems to be nothing of concern and I've even been given the all-clear on the left boob, for which I had a third ultrasound Feb. 8th. Yay!!!!!!!!!!

When I saw Dr McF last week for a regular 6-month, post-surgery follow-up, he didn't yet have the written report from the ultrasound though he'd listened quickly to the dictated report and felt there was no cause for concern. Lorne was hugely relieved but it still wasn't concrete enough for me, I'm afraid. I needed to know 100% (what if he'd been rushed and hadn't listened carefully enough?) so I couldn't let myself breathe until ideally having the written report in my hand.

This morning I had a follow-up with my oncologist, Dr N, which was really to discuss my concerns over the right boob becoming very swollen and tender at 6 weeks post-radiation, but with the added bonus of hearing once more that there was nothing unusual noted on my ultrasound report. While I don't have a copy of the actual report, three confirmations that all looks to be okay is the best news I could hope for and I'm ready to accept that.

As for the swollen booby (which is actually quite a nice size thank you very much only I just wish the other one would plump up as nicely), he reassures me that it's nothing unusual post-surgery and radiation therapy and is perhaps a sign of mild lymphedema which, he anticipates, will correct itself in the coming months. Basically the placement of the tissue/lymph nodes removed during my surgery can inhibit the drainage of other lymph nodes in that area around the breast/chest etc. So even though my lymph nodes are doing their usual job in taking care of any infection etc, they're not able to run it from my breast and through my lypmph system quite as efficiently as they would have pre-surgery so you can sometimes get swelling/tenderness. If it builds up significantly, then it can lead to infection, but at this point, Dr N assures me, it all looks okay but he'd like to see me again in 6 months just to follow up. Okey dokey then. Personally I'm encouraged by the fact both the swelling and soreness have already diminished since I originally made the appointment to see him back in January.

He did make me a little nervous in talking with the student doctor attending my appointment, when he started to explain to her that my right boob has what they call a slight peau d'orange appearance since it can sometimes indicate inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) - what the f.....??? - although he maintains it's rare and is probably not the case here, but nevertheless it's worth taking note. Personally I'm not seeing anything that looks as bumpy as orange peel (peau d'orange sounds so much more elegant) but there is definitely a slightly different skin texture when compared to the left side and it wasn't too long ago that things were much more swollen, tender, pink and warm, which is why I booked to see him again in the first place. However, I think it's best I just leave that thought well alone - mentally!

All-in-all a good day and fantastic news to hear I'm really doing quite well after all and have nothing to worry about. That is a big weight lifted off my shoulders and maybe now I can fill my preeety leeetle heeed with something more positive and constructive.

Thanks heavens for technology and great medical care!!! Amen and get me a stiff drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment