About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Canada
Originally from a small seaside town in the North of England, I lived and worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Maldive Islands before moving to Canada in 1995 - where I intended to stay 'just a couple of years'. Well, I'm still here. I live with my fabulous (Canadian) husband, Lorne, in Vancouver's Westside, close to beaches & downtown. We opted for kitties over kids and are proud parents to 3 wonderful rescues; Mel & Louis, who we adopted in 2010, and little miss Ella, who joined us in 2013. I miss my family in the UK but luckily my sister and best friend, Victoria, lives just down the street with her family. I remain very European at heart and would love to move back there, even for a while. Hopefully I'll convince Lorne & the kitties one day. Besides, I'm fluent in French & German but rarely get chance to use either here. Outside of work I love photography, writing, making cards, working out, camping, kayaking, horse riding & most things really. I've always been an animal lover, support several animal protection organizations and haven't eaten meat in 27 years.
Words To Live By:
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Seawell (Author of Black Beauty)


Nov 11, 2010

Manifesting the voice of Beep

In preparation for my recent trip across the pond, I realized I must have accidentally left my old faithful travel alarm back at my sister-in-law's place in Alberta a couple of months ago. I decided (being thrifty n'all) to buy one off Ebay for $6 as opposed to a $20 clock at the store.

Oddly enough, expecting all travel alarms are created equal (aren't they?), I was somewhat disgruntled to find I couldn't actually figure out how to operate the damn thing. 'It's just a travel alarm, these things are pretty self-explanatory at the best of times,' I thought. Assuming lack of coffee to be the problem, I returned from the kitchen fully armed and ready to take on my Ebay travel alarm. Alas, after 10 minutes of prodding, poking, (cursing) and sporadic beeping, it was obvious I was getting nowhere.

I confess I'm not one for reading instructions and tech manuals (there must be a thousand possibilities on my latest Nikon that I'm still blissfully unaware of) but it soon became my last resort and when I opened up the little sheet of paper, the problem immediately became evident.....


Suddenly the light went on and with a heavenly 'aaaaaahhhhhh' it all became blatantly clear .....'But of course, silly me - I was forgetting to establish the beep voice manifestation. How on earth was I expecting to exergue the voice of Beep without first tacitly recognizing reply the homogulous junior key mode secondses? Stupid! Stupid!'

Yup, even as a linguist this little gem still takes 'lost in translation' to a whole new level :-) Although I have to say, it was definitely worth the $6 + free shipping just for the priceless entertainment value!

Anyhoooo, you might be impressed (or perhaps somewhat concerned) to know, that I did actually figure out how to otamically wire ascend cents and arbitrarily establish pure zero beep voice punctuation. I suspect you can even get medication for it.

2 comments:

  1. Where was your clock made and/or the instructions written? It's just... amazing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it's from China - the seller was http://myworld.ebay.ca/coolandslow

    I'm tempted to order something else- maybe he has a whole array of Cape manifestations to count key mode beeps for 2999 weather. You just never know. :-)

    ReplyDelete